Building Inspection & Code Enforcement
CURRENT BUILDING CODES
The Town of Hudson has adopted by reference (with amendments) the International Building Code, 2018 edition; The International Residential Code, 2018 edition; The International Fuel Gas Code, 2018 edition; The International Plumbing Code, 2018 edition; The International Mechanical Code, 2018 edition; The International Existing Building Code, 2018 edition; The International Property Maintenance Code, 2018 edition; The International Swimming Pool and Spa code, 2018 edition; and The International Energy Conservation Code, 2012 edition; promulgated by the international code council. Chapter 18 of the Hudson Municipal Code provides the building codes adopted by Town.
The Town of Hudson has contracted with SAFEbuilt to provide the community with building plan reviews, building inspections, and code enforcement services. A building permit application may be obtained from our Permits & Licenses page. Once an Applicant meets the requirements of the Land Development Code, applicable building codes, and the Building Permit Application has been reviewed and approved by SAFEbuilt, a Building Permit may be issued to the Applicant from the Town of Hudson and the permitted work may begin.
Please refer to the “When a permit is required” guide for more details on work requiring permits. Over the counter permits may be issued within 2 days of submission, while building permits requiring plan review could take 1-2 weeks before the first review is completed and subsequent reviews could take an additional 1-2 weeks per review. Once the Plan Reviewer has approved the permit, the applicant is required to pay the permit fees in order for the Town to issue the permit.
Over the Counter Permits may include:
- Sanitary sewer and water repairs
- Water heater
Submittal requirements for Building Permits include:
- New Residential
- New Commercial/Commercial Remodels/Tenant Improvements (includes Commercial Kitchens)
- Photovoltaic (PV) Systems
- 2012 IECC
- Site Plan Guide on Planning Department page
- If electrical work is being done, utility plans are also required. Plans must be scaled or dimensioned and adopted codes must be noted.
NO WORK MAY BEGIN UNTIL THE PERMIT IS ISSUED BY TOWN HALL.
The following development guides provide details, including additional requirements for:
- When is a permit required?
- Electrical License Requirements
- 2018 IRC Re-Roof Guide & Re-roofing Requirements
- 2018 Accessory Building Guide
- 2018 Patio Cover/Carport Building Guide
- 2018 Pole Barn Guide
- 2018 IRC Basement Finish Guide
- 2018 IRC Deck Guide
- 2018 Home Additions
- 2018 Swimming Pool Guide
- 2018 IRC Window Replacement Guide
- 2018 Code Adoption